Join the Ranks
We Are Progressive Christians Hellbent on Growing spiritually
End the isolation by gathering online with others like yourself—those who live on the edge of faith.
Just because no one around you gets you, that’s no reason for you to feel “stuck” spiritually.
Simply choose the level that’s right for you, embrace the spirit of adventure, and begin generating spiritual momentum once again.
* Please note: ECF-Net is a business, not a 501c3. While I have been ordained by the Presbyterian Church (USA) and remain a member in good standing, this project is not officially attached to any organized religious body. That means financial participation is not a tax deduction.
The dominant voice of Christianity in America is evangelicalism. And that voice generally claims that there can be no other faithful voice. In fact, cries of “heresy!” are common when the supremacy of their religious beliefs is challenged. Fear of eternal damnation in hell will often keep people in the fold. But that doesn’t mean they don’t have questions…
And many Christians do indeed question, even if it is quietly. Is the Bible really right literally all the time? Are all followers of all other religions (and Christian denominations unlike theirs) really all going to hell? Is there really a hell in the first place? The moment people start questioning the dogma, that’s when they start to grow beyond it.
As a result, when Christians “outgrow” their evangelical congregations because they no longer find its truth claims to be reasonable, they face a choice: either pretend to believe something they don’t and stay, or reveal they no longer resonate with what their church teaches and leave. These Christians (regardless of whether they stay or leave) are Christians living on the edge of faith.
Christians on the edge of faith are in a unique position for spiritual growth as Christians. But it’s hard for them to find support and resources anywhere. ECF-Net exists to fill that gap. It is designed to meet people where they are in their spiritual life and to help them move into a deeper sense of connection with God.
Yes, I am. I am an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (USA). If you want to know more about me, here’s a link to my About Me page.
Yes, it is. If you are a progressive Christian, this space has been built to empower you to grow spiritually. If you are not familiar with the progressive Christian perspective, the voice here may sound very different than what you are used to.
No. This is an individual endeavor. This is a spiritual growth coaching project. Spiritual growth coaching is an unregulated field and it doesn’t require any organization to approve or support it.
That depends on who you talk with. Those coming from a more narrow, conservative, theological perspective would probably say “yes”. I (and others like me) say clearly “no, it is not heresy”.
The historical truth is that Christianity has always been interpreted by its culture to produce the form it takes. Through time and space, those interpretations have varied.
Progressive Christianity is a big-tent approach to being Christian. The progressive perspective is generally less concerned with what you believe for belief-sake, and more concerned with how you are continually becoming more than you already are.
The traditional and evangelical approaches to being Christian have their own beauty and appeal, and they can help people grow who are on those paths. Indeed, many people have been transformed by divine love through those traditions.
That being said, I believe that they are missing the point of Christianity in many cases. I believe that their attempts to stifle critical reflection on faith have done damage to our religion, especially in this day and age. They have created a glass ceiling for spiritual growth, which almost requires many critically-thinking people to abandon their Christian communities if they want to grow as spiritual beings.
Anamchara Spiritual Growth Coaching
Initiate Level (
At the Initiate Level, you receive…
- Weekly email with a link to a guided meditation in audio to help you maintain a spiritual focus throughout your day. You will benefit more if you work with it each morning until the next one arrives.
- One monthly spiritual reflection in audio (about 5–7 minutes) that is based on a passage from the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Testament.
Seeker Level (
At the Seeker Level, you receive everything in the previous level, plus…
- A second monthly spiritual reflection in audio (in addition to the first) based on the Hebrew Bible or Christian Testament.
- Access to a “Members Only” moderated Facebook Group where you can meet safely with others coming from similar spiritual perspectives, ask questions, and share in your struggles.
- An invitation to a monthly group video gathering (about 45 minutes) for the purpose helping each other grow spiritually.
- An invitation to a monthly group video contemplative prayer session (about 45 minutes) where you learn to listen to God on the silence.
Radical Level (
At the Radical Level, you receive everything in the two previous levels, plus…
- Monthly email with a link to a podcast with a theological reflection that offers a progressive perspective on theological topics and social situations.
- One monthly, guided, group-learning session over a video platform. For 45 minutes, we will wrestle with a text (biblical or otherwise) to begin mining it for potential deeper meaning. I will lead the group and add my insights as everyone involved is invited to share theirs.
- Monthly Facebook Live Q&A sessions during which I will take questions from the Facebook community and address as many as I can personally in the Facebook community.
Anamchara Spiritual Growth Coaching ($50/Session)
Enrollment to this level is limited.
While we are all called to grow spiritually, not everyone is called to grow in the same way. An “anamchara” is a “spiritual friend”, one who walks alongside someone on their spiritual journey. You will receive…
- One Spiritual Growth Coaching Session over an online video platform to discuss where you are spiritually and co-create a plan for your growth. A session takes 45 minutes, and the process typically spans multiple sessions.
Congregational Vitalization (pricing Varies)
Enrollment to this level is limited.
I can work with your congregation to help vitalize and grow your faith community. With this longer-term commitment, I will walk your congregation’s leadership through my Meaningful Church Vitalization Process. This process involves a theological framework wrapped around a community-management model for community growth. Through this training, your leadership team will learn how to…
- Approach church growth strategically, while balancing the work of nurturing community with evangelism and mission.
- Move participants in your community into the roles that are just right for them so that they can thrive spiritually.
- Leverage your website to maximize the reach of your message and attract those who would thrive in your congregation.